Recently I was speaking with a subscriber to this blog and was inspired to write this post.
The McAfoose family is a family on a mission.
In the last year, they’ve raised over $100,000 to buy, repair, license and open an orphanage in the Philippines. Why? Because they believe God wants them to. And now, their children are seeing their parents trust and serve a God of the impossible. And, they aren’t done.
While spending time with them at a recent fundraiser for the Jesus Love Me Orphanage, the wife and mom of the family shared with me about two new adventures she is planning with her five children for the summer.
Her and her daughters are planning to have a spa and meal time for women in poverty.
Her sons have identified and asked a handful of widows if they could mow their yards and do other chores for them once a week during the summer.
The love for others of this family keeps coming to my mind. So, I thought I’d create a list of ideas that I can one day use with my own kids. So, in addition to the spa and mowing ideas, here’s more. Maybe you and your kids can use some of them now.
When kids are in a home that is being bold for God, they won’t be drawn to the “wrong” crowd. They’ll have all the adventure they want and need right at home.
ACTIVITIES AND TIPS:
- First, pray that God would reveal his desire and will for you in this matter. If any of these ideas speak to you, awesome. If not, alter one and share what you think of.
- Identify and invite a single parent family over for dinner once a week.
- Sponsor a child through Compassion International. As a family, write letters to and pray about the child you sponsor once per week.
- If you have a skill such as automotive mechanic, baking, electrical, plumbing, data entry….ask God to bring someone into your life you can mentor and apprentice for free. Imagine, you are your kid teaching a young parent a skill they can turn around and use to get a job to provide for their family.
- Volunteer together as a family at church.
- Ask your kids school if they could use some volunteers over the summer to paint classrooms, clean desks, etc.
- Set up a lemonaid stand and give the proceeds to a charity.
- Plant and work a large garden. Donate the veggies to a food pantry. Teach canning and preserving for free and let them keep the canned goods.
- Ask your kids what they want to do. What are they passionate about? What bothers them the most that they want to make an effect on?
ACTION YOU CAN TAKE RIGHT NOW:
- Plan a family dinner to talk about the topic of serving together as a family.
- Make a list of ideas and ask your kids to vote on their favorite.
- Check out more about the McAfoose Family and how you can support the Jesus Loves Me Children’s Orphanage when you purchase one of our shirts.
RELATED POST FROM MY BLOG:
RELATED POST FROM MY WIFE’S BLOG:
Question: What idea would you add? What volunteer work have you done alongside your kids?
If you are another blogger and have a post related to this that others might find helpful, please feel free to share a link in the comments.