Updated 12/18/2015. I first wrote this in 2013, today I update the numbers but not the content.
I want to focus my mind and heart today.
I want to focus them on my wife.
In fact, I like to think about her every day.
But today, today is special.
- Not because of any specific date on the calendar.
- Not because it’s an anniversary of anything.
- Not because society says it’s special.
Today is special like yesterday, because today…I’m married to my best friend.
I want to think about and write down some things I love about her…things I’ve never told her.
- I like to say silly things to make her raise her eyes to the sky and smile just so…I love her smile.
- I love the way she rushes out of bed at the first sound of one of our kids. She’s been doing this for 5 years. She wants me to sleep so I can wake up at 5 AM and chase our dreams. I love that she sacrifices her sleep for our family.
- I love watching her talk to others about our kids and parenting. She doesn’t know this, but she can’t do it without smiling. Have I mentioned that I love her smile?
- I love when she puts her feet on my lap while we are watching TV and asks me to rub them.
- I love how she talks about Jesus to our kids.
- I love when she whispers at night just as we climb into bed, “Will you pray?”
- I love how she sits at the kitchen table with her Bible and journal and studies God’s words.
- I love how she experiments with recipes and tries new things for us to eat.
- I love that her dreams are bigger than mine. I love that we chase them together.
- I love how she cares and talks about our friends everyday.
Marissa, I love you.
- Start a list like I did above of things you love about your spouse. Next time you are angry with them; get the list out and start reading through all the reasons you love them. You’ll be amazed at how this will help you.
- Brag about your spouse today to someone.
- Leave a new note everyday in the same place telling your spouse one thing you love about them or the two of you together.
- Plan a “tell all” date. Take your spouse out on a date and tell him/her all the things you haven’t yet.
- Write a letter, email, note, text message, blog post, Facebook post, Tweet…whatever…but just write something right now to your spouse. SERIOUSLY, STOP READING AND WRITE SOMETHING RIGHT NOW. Come on, write just one sentence. WHY ARE YOU STILL READING?
- Call your spouse right now and tell them you love them.