How are your spouse and kids really doing?
I mean, how are they feeling about where your family is headed over the next five years?
Do you know how you are feeling about the next five years and the direction you are headed?
Do you even know what direction you are headed?
Leading a family is like building an airplane while flying it at the same….it’s hard work.
You won’t drift into a healthy future for your family. You have to be intentional.
And, the first place to start….know your family.
Can you answer these questions about/for everyone in your family:
- What is your greatest fear?
- What is your greatest accomplishment so far?
- Do you have a plan to improve something in yourself?
- What have you been realizing about yourself lately?
- Why do they think we are going in the right direction? What about the wrong direction?
- What do you think is right with our family?
- What do you think is wrong with our family?
- What do you find confusing about our family? (ie. you say one thing, but act a different way)
- What do they think is missing in our family? (ie. eating dinner together as a family)
- What is the one question you have wanted to ask me, but never have?
You’ll have to do the hard work of creating a safe environment to ask and hear the answers to these questions. Try going on a walk or driving around in the car.
You have to know the emotional, relational and spiritual condition of your family.